Friday, July 2, 2010

An Interesting Experience

Over the last few weeks, I've been contemplating what I should be doing. Like, I have a running group and running schedule, I have my food blog that keeps me busy, I have my friends to hang out with, I teach Sunday School to 4 & 5 year old boys and I do other things here and there, but I thought maybe I should be doing more.

I decided that what was right for me (and our financial situation/predicament) was for me to go to work. I applied for one job. It was a part time job working for head start as their health & nutrition consultant--right up my alley. I thought "Hooray! A job that is part time that I will LOVE and that will let me use my degree!" Perfect.

They called me back and I went for an interview. It went well. A few days later, I get offered the position and I accept. I am happy and excited. I figured out that me working part time for 10 months would pay off all of our debts entirely (including student loans) AND pay for flights to Canada for Christmas AND have a little left over. Amazing. Gordon and I then proceed to figure out some sort of childcare for Brooke. Although we have lots of family here in town, NOTHING is working out. I am frustrated. So very frustrated.

Through lots of talking, prayers and tears, I decline the job. Interestingly enough, the night before I decline, I received an answer to my prayers: We will be blessed financially without me working & Brooke needs her Mom. So, I get over it, try to be positive, count my blessings and think things will work out because the Lord told me that me and my family would be blessed.

This was earlier in the week. Yesterday, I saw one of my friends post the newest 'Mormon Messages" video that just completely re-affirmed my decision to decline the job. Even though logically it doesn't make sense at all for me to not work, it is what's best for my family. I know that we are being watched over and that our prayers are heard and answered. I know that their is a plan for my life and even though I have an idea of where I want to go, it is really all in the Lord's hands. And I'm ok with that. I am grateful I had this experience. Even though it was hard and angering at times, I learned a lot from it.

Here's that video I mentioned:

4 comments:

Cat and Blake Potter said...

Thanks for sharing this. You will not regret following the spirit. It's different for everyone, but when you do what you know your father in heaven wants you to do, he does deliver and bless us. We've experienced that a lot these past few years as canadian students, and looking back it's unbelievable to me how many miracles we've witnessed, it's amazing. I am happy for you, keep it up :)

The Jensen Family said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful message....it's good for all moms to be reminded! I am sure your family will be blessed for following the spirit!

Anonymous said...

Wait...did you see this off my page? I put this on the other day and LOVED it! Good for you for doing the right thing for your family, you guys will be blessed!

shuttle5 said...

Wow! I'm wondering if this was from a conference talk...how perfect. And it is a wonderful confirmation of your decision. I know sometimes I have _known_ things that "don't seem to make sense." As you pass through those times, you have the confidence that you are on the right course, at least.