Sunday, October 25, 2009

Half Marathon!

Me before the race. It was FREEZING!
Well, I did it! After months of training, I finally finished my first half marathon! It was great! There were times where I felt tired and I wanted to stop, but I just kept going, all the way to the end! Of course I had my own cheering section...sort of-I was one of the only people to have others come root me on at different parts of the course. At one point there were 8 of them! Thank you! It made it so much easier!
My plan was to start slow as usual, and then get faster as I went. Well, its hard to start slow when everyone around you is going fast, so I started a little faster than expected but evened my pace out to normal. The night before, Gordon told me that he wanted me to finish feeling exhausted so I'd feel like I did my best. WELL, the last mile, I was booking it to the end. Seriously, the fastest mile I've ever done, just because Gordon's voice in my head was saying 'finish exhausted-finish exhausted'. In the process of finishing, I passed 4 people! It felt great to finish and the entire run was pretty enjoyable (which I never thought I'd say about running).
So, my overall goal was to run around 10 minute miles to finish around 2:20. Well, I ended up completing the entire thing in 2:08:24. I am so happy with that time! I was surprised that I did that well, especially for my first race! I finished 113th out of 145 runners which isn't that good, but I don't care. But, I did finish 4th for my age group, which is great, I think!
It was a great experience and I want to do many more...and maybe even a marathon! Oh, and I also wanted to say thank you to my friend Amy who got me to agree to run a half marathon with her in May. She got this whole ball rolling! Thanks, Amy!
We had to bundle Brooke up because it was so cold!

Me right before the race began, trying to keep warm.

And we're off!

Coming up to mile 2, after a steep climb.

Coming up to mile 10 where all of my 8 fans are: Gordon, Brooke, John, Marilyn, Mark, Tammy, Ambria and Saige.

Starting mile 12! This is where I started getting pumped to finish and passed 4 people!

Coming up to the finish!

Me in all my 13.1 mile glory. Kind of a weird picture because I have a mouth full of pear.

10 comments:

Gisela-David said...

Woohoo!! Awesome job Lauren! You have great running form. I know people who look weird running, but you looked great. It almost makes me want to run one myself. :-)

Mark and Tammy said...

That was excilerating-and makes me also want to run again more often. Thanks for the motivation. What a cold morning to run. I have some pictures to send your way too.

Bongard Family said...

Awesome Lo! I am so excited for you. I go to my 6 week dr visit tomorrow and after the all clear I am ready to start training for April. Registration is open if your still up for running it with me :)

Amy Diestler said...

You are such a cute runner! No one should look that good after a half marathon! Way to go!

Cat and Blake Potter said...

Wow you did awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Jolayne said...

Lo! You're basically amazing! I'm so proud of you! You're a total inspiration! Congratulations on the Half Marathon!!! LOVE!

Rachel said...

Wow! I'm so impressed!! Maybe one day, I'll be as ambitious as you! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Lolo!! You rock!

Kaje said...

YOU ARE AMAAAAAZZAAZAZAZAZA-ZING! I can't believe how cute you look running. I'm a red-faced mess after one block.

Come be my trainer!

Anonymous said...

whooo good job! Isn't it the greatest feeling to hit that 12 mile mark and know you are almost done!!! Its like you get a new burst of energy, I love it! Way to go, you should totally train for a marathon, you could do it!