So, we went to the doctor's office today for yet another visit. I'm kind of in the groove of the prenatal care visits: weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup, listen to the heart beat. This week was a little different because I got tested for gestational diabetes, and anemia. I'm not anemic, but my glucose levels were 'elevated' which caused concern. To make sure that I have or don't have diabetes, I have to go back on Tuesday and do the same test, but I have to be fasting. So, I'll go in at 8am (fasting from midnight), get my finger pricked, drink the nasty drink, and come back every hour on the hour 3 more times to get my blood tested. So, all the tests will be done at 11am at which point I may just die of starvation. I realize that modern medicine is a great thing and I am thankful that there are tests to prevent problems in pregnancy, BUT, taking food from a pregnant woman is asking for trouble. Anyways, other then that, things are good. The baby's heart rate was right around 140, and my belly measurements are apparently right on the mark. The weird thing to think about is how much bigger she still needs to get. No idea where its all going to go because things already feel tight.
Highlight of the appointment/my life: We were talking to the doctor about procedures and policies of the hospital where I'll be delivering and I asked if Gordon would be able to cut the umbilical cord. Doctor's response: "Oh yeah...we can definitely do that. Heck if things are going well, once I have the head and the shoulders out, he could deliver the baby and put her up on your belly". Gordon's response: "uhhhh........look of fright on face changes to panic which changes to disgust.........I'll think about it?!" Its one of those moments where you wish you had a video camera because me explaining it just does not do justice. I think Gordon is thoroughly freaked out and will not be delivering the baby, but, who knows? We'll see.
Earlier in the week I signed up for some baby classes at the hospital. We'll be going mid december. On list of items to bring that they gave me were : "2 pillows, comfortable clothing, labor coach". Gordon has been downgraded to an 'item" I need to bring. I thought it was funny. He did not.
Coming up to my 30 week mark! Time flies! I love it! The faster time goes by, the sooner I get to see the baby! So exciting. Visitors welcome anytime before or after the baby comes!
To be continued about the diabetes testing....
Baileys Irish Cream Cheesecake
1 week ago
4 comments:
Gordon and Lauren, do you have plans for Thanksgiving? Is that when David is coming up? We are not hosting this year. If you don't have plans and want to come have BBQed turkey with us again, let me know and I will tell you where we are going. Good luck on the Glucose test! I remember that... anyway, hope to see you soon! Karen
Ya, taking food from a pregnant woman is baaad. Goodluck with everything. Hopefully, you don't have diabetes! It's crazy how many tests you have to go for when you're pregnant! I wished somebody warned me about that before i got pregnant. I can't even count the amount of times blood was taken from me. I'm soooooo excited for your baby to come!!!! You're quite the trooper and believe me, the baby will find room to grow! Even if it means squishing your bladder into a pancake!!
Haha! I can't really picture Gordon's reaction in my head, but I think it might be pretty close to the one David had a while back. :-) Anyway lots of luck with glucose test, not only it tastes gross, but you can't get the taste out with something else because you can't eat anything! Don't worry, as soon as you're ready to have the baby, Gordon will go through a transformation right before your eyes. It's really neat to see them go from husband to dad. He'll love every minute of it (even the "gross" parts). See you Tuesday!
sounds about right. I could totally picture Gordons face as the doctor is explaining about the delivery-I am sure there was a little paleness also. You look adorable as always and I hope you guys have a great thanksgiving with David and Gisela-what fun
Post a Comment